Sunday, November 11, 2007

To Bangkok



The receptionist tells me to take the free bus from the Holiday Inn to Kowloon Station and then the MTR to the airport. I wonder if anyone will recognise me at the Holiday Inn. I ask the porter there how much a room costs. He says about HKD 1200-1800 per night. That's at least five times what I've been paying.

A German guest kindly offers me a lift in his taxi to Kowloon airport, where I check my bags in directly to Bangkok. My bag seems to gave gained a kilo and now weighs a hefty 25 kgs. It has a permanent 'heavy' tag attached to it these days.

Two hours later I'm in Bangkok and waiting for my transfer to the hotel. After half an hour of no-show I complain to the hotel rep who apologises 15 times and promises to sort it out. It makes me feel bad for complaining. When I complained in Sydney, I was asked if I was American. After my budget stay in Hong Kong I've splashed out on a nice room and even treated myself to a Thai Massage.

The next day I see my hotel location for the first time as it was dark when I arrived. Although it's raining there are gleaming golden temples across the river. I'd forgotten how magical Thailand is. I must come back.

(Photo - Hong Kong)

No comments: