Tuesday, January 01, 2008

High Kora, Ganden Monastery, Tibet



The Ganden kora (pilgrim's path) is a stunning walk around the monastery offering fantastic views of the Kyi-chu valley. There are two parts to the walk - the high kora which climbs Angkor Ri and the low kora which follows an even track around the back of the monastery. As everyone else is taking the hard option, it seems only fair that I attempt the same.

My guide book allows 40 minutes to climb to the top of Angkor Ri at 5050 metres but it takes me an hour. It's steep, rocky and the air is thin. I need to stop every few paces as I feel winded. The summit is deceiving. When you think you can see the end, you are only half way.

As I stumble with great relief towards the multi-coloured prayer flags on the summit, third-last in my group, I feel it was all worth it for the view.

No comments: