Sunday, January 06, 2008

Tashilhunpo Monastery, Shigatse, Tibet



Although there are hordes of pilgrims (and tourists) which makes queueing to enter chapels slightly unpleasant, Tashilhunpo is the first place I feel spiritually close to the Dalai and Panchen Lamas. I can't quite define the reason why but for this feeling I decide it's my favourite monastery. Although we have several hours here, it doesn't feel enough. There's a huge area to explore which would justify an extra day.

As I enter the Chapel of Jampa (Jamkhang Chenmo) I'm greeted first by a sign saying photography costs 75 Yuan (about £5). Behind the stream of pilgrims spooning yak butter into candle vats is the world's second largest Buddha. At 26 metres high it took 900 workers six years to complete. Covered in 300kg of gold and precious stones it's a formidable structure.

No comments: