Sunday, March 11, 2007

Angel Falls camp, Canaima, Venezuela



Six hours after we began our adventure up the river someone points out a thin white wisp of water spilling out from the top of Auyún tepuy. We all know it's Angel Falls but it's rather underwhelming. Even our guide is disappointed having only seen it in its voluminous wet months. Nevertheless I'm not disappointed as I've already reached sensory overload with the stunning landscapes I've seen today. Tomorrow we'll hike up through the jungle to the base and have a closer look.

Our camp for the night at Isla de Ratón is basic to say the least - a concrete shelter with a couple of wooden beams to attach our hammocks to. As we're all exhausted we manage a quick dinner before collapsing in our hammocks at 9pm.

2 comments:

Vanderson Rangel said...

Hi, very interesting your blog. Congratulations. My blog is about my trips here, in Brazil.

http://tudoprafazer.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I remember the stange sounds in the night......and being kicked by the "person" in the near-by hammick.....guess who....an experience to remember