Sunday, March 11, 2007

Caracas, Venezuela



I'm on a roll so decide I might as well do the one other thing I wanted to do in Caracas which is to take the teleférico (cable car) up to Mount Ávila for a view of the city. Still paranoid about being mugged/shot I take a taxi to the bottom of the hill.

As I've been used to paying so little for everything in South America the ticket price seems a little steep at 30 Bolivars (about GBP 7). I seem to be the only person around so I have a car to myself which is just as well as my camera spookily decides to play up, just as it did on the cable car up to San Cristóbal in Santiago. The 20-minute ride up passes over two large hills which gives me enough time to panic, administer emergency surgery on my camera and calm down as I unbelievably manage to fix the problem.

From the top of Mount Ávila there is a hazy view of Caracas on one side and a view of green hills leading down to the sea on the other. Unfortunately like the cable car in Quito, they've made it into a mini amusement park complete with ice rink, 3D simulator and children's playground.

(Photo - Caracas from the cable car)

No comments: