Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunset at Ciudad Bolívar, Venezuela



Last night I had my most expensive meal so far in South America at GBP 17. It's a shock after paying on average GBP 3 for a meal. Venezuela appears to be even more expensive than Chile.

I'm not sad to be leaving Caracas today. Although I didn't hear them myself my travelling companions were excitedly talking about the gunshots they heard close to our hotel.

It's a 9-hour bus ride to Ciudad Bolívar, the place Simon Bolívar set up his base to liberate most of South America from Spanish rule. Ciudad Bolívar is a colonial city on the banks of the Orinoco. It's old name is 'Angostura' which means 'the Narrows' as here the river is at its narrowest, at only 300 metres wide. We arrive just in time for sunset and I'm doubly pleased as I've now finished Anna Karenina.

No comments: