Sunday, December 09, 2007

To Tibet



I'm flying to Tibet today and I can't wait. I've joined a tour group as the Chinese have made it difficult and expensive to travel independently beyond the capital, Lhasa.

I'm really excited about Tibet. Ever since a friend conjured up images of vast, desolate landscapes and monasteries perched on top of mountains I haven't been able to dispel the dream of visiting. So much so that when I arrived in New Zealand I changed my travel plans and booked a flight and tour for three months later.

I'm advised to leave my valuables in the hotel in Kathmandu as baggage handling between Kathmandu and Tibet isn't the most secure. At Kathmandu airport I seem to go through endless security checks even though these are half-hearted. The guard rummages through the top section of my bag intrigued by a sanitary towel but not at all interested in the contents at the bottom of my bag.

The flight to Lhasa takes just under an hour and passes through dramatic mountain scenery. Everest is pointed out to me as a peak as high as the aircraft. It's a strange sensation to be flying at the same height as a mountain.

No comments: