Sunday, March 09, 2008

Drive to Everest, Tibet



I sleep well despite having to get up twice and pee into the ceramic basin provided under the bed. Having visited the 'hotel' toilets (a stinking wet short-long drop at the end of the corridor) earlier that evening it really was the best option. I also had a shocking dream about the Dalai Lama which I won't retell.

We're back on the Friendship Highway after breakfast heading towards Everest Base Camp. On the way we stop at Gyatsola Pass, which at 5248 metres, is the highest place I've ever been to. With a backdrop of snowy mountains it's picturesque spot but not a place to linger. The wind and cold are fierce battering the prayer flags into submission.

I continue my 4x4 journey through the Tibetan plateau, over potholed roads, scree and grass, passing icy snaking rivers and snowy peaks. The views are truly breathtaking.

At Shegar, a dusty one-horse town, we stop to collect our Everest passes.

No comments: