Sunday, March 09, 2008

Everest Base Camp, Tibet



I do not sleep well. Even though I’d put on my thermals, hat, scarf, gloves and buried myself under two duvets, I was still freezing. It was minus 5 I suppose. Not only that but the light was on all night as no one could work out how to switch it off, and I dreamt again that my camera was stolen, an anxiety dream I keep having. At 7am I need to pee but I can face the smelly long drop toilets. It’s still dark outside and now snowing so I put on my hiking boots, take my trusted maglite and find a land cruiser to perch behind. I bump into several others with the same idea.

As the morning light draws in, the group start walking up to Base Camp. I’m exhausted and my whole body aches so I and Connie take the cart. I don’t feel guilty.

When we arrive it’s overcast and Everest is covered. I feel a pang of relief although it’s disappointing for the others who didn’t see it yesterday. Everest can barely be seen under the swathe of cloud.

No comments: