Sunday, March 09, 2008

Everest Base Camp, Tibet



It’s 5pm when we arrive and although our (exhausted) group is due to walk the 4 kilometres up to the official Base Camp early tomorrow morning I’m keen to take advantage of the clear bright weather. To be completely honest I’m paranoid and would be gutted if I’d come all this way only to see Everest shrouded in cloud.

As one of the girls and I walk start walking along the flat rocky path, we’re overtaken by jangling donkey carts ferrying passengers under blankets. I’m tempted to join the lazy tourist brigade but know I would be disappointed with myself.

After a while the flat road becomes an incline, steep in places, winding itself around rocky peaks. Everest is always obscured until the very end when a straight path opens up to reveal the mountain in full glory.

(Photo - carts overtaking us on the walk to Base Camp)

No comments: