Monday, October 30, 2006

Buenos Aires Diary


It´s been a while since I logged on to the blog - mainly due to a combination of late nights and a flu-type bug. I arrived exactly a week ago but it has blurred into one long day/night and I´ve been struggling to remember what I´ve seen here.

For me Buenos Aires feels a little like Paris with a South American flavour (it´s been called the ´Paris of the South´). The buildings are grand (but many are crumbly and faded); the people are elegant and it definitely feels like Europe, unlike Rio. If I´d opened my eyes not knowing where I was I would have said Paris for architecture and Italy for people. Have seen much less of the cultural mix here than in Rio.

There is surprisingly little to ´sight see´ in terms of tourist attractions and monuments. It´s much more about enjoying the cafe society lifestyle and walking around the various districts which have very different flavours. I haven´t made it to all the districts and my impressions are very much my own.

Recoleta and Barrio Norte are smart, classy and expensive. Recoleta is home to the cemetery where Evita is buried.

San Telmo - Buzzy, slightly bohemian and full of bars and restaurants. The oldest part of Buenos Aires.

Palermo - a leafier version of Recoleta with lots of parks and gardens. Also the current a la mode place to go out. Palermo Hollywood or Palermo Soho?

La Boca - Slightly run down area when the Boca Juniors stadium is situated; Has 2-3 colourful streets with painted houses including the famous ´Caminito´. Where most of the Italian immigrants originally settled.

Puerto Madero - bordering the redeveloped dock area - it did remind me of the London Docklands; Apparently a lot of English expats live here in swanky converted warehouses. Expensive.

The ferry from Colonia takes three hours and as I was on deck watching us pull into the port, I have a feeling I´m really going to like it here.

No comments: