Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Downtown & the art of Caipirinhas

On my last day in Rio (still overcast) I decided to check out downtown Rio and follow a recommended walk in my guidebook. My starting point from Cinelandia metro station was Praca Floriano, which reminded me a bit of Shepherd´s Bush Green - complete with winos and beggars with a steely stare. First impressions of downtown were of odd-shaped skyscrapers and lots of concrete and glass. Very 70s.

Felt pretty vulnerable with my large daypack so walked quickly down the Avenida Rio Branco to my first stop, the Convento de Santo Antonio which is on a hill and thankfully away from the mayhem below.

Santo Antonio is, apparently, an object of devotion for women looking for a husband! I wondered whether there would be anything unusual about the church or its visitors. Not sure what I was expecting really - maybe some desperate women perhaps (not sure what these would look like) but there was nothing like that - just a lovely sacristy decorated with elaborate wood carvings and blue tiles.

Further stops included the Nossa Senhora da Candelaria church and the Mosteiro de Sao Bento (monastery) - the main church is adorned in ornate red and gold carvings. Unfortunately there was no cloister - which I love (architecturally). Deviating from the route I also encountered some lovely side streets with colourful colonial houses.

After a hard day pounding the streets I thought I deserved a decent cocktail and wondered whether the last (strong) one I had in Lapa was the norm. And it looks like it is, so here´s how you make a good Caipirinha:-

Step 1 - Take some sugar and mash it together with some chopped cubes of lime
Step 2 - Add ice
Step 3 - Fill glass to the top with Cachaca (alcohol distilled from sugar cane)
Step 4 - Add a slice of lime - and drink

Two of these will have you dancing in the aisles of Sainsbury´s.

Goodbye beautiful Rio.

No comments: