Saturday, October 07, 2006

Musings on Brazilian dancing...


How different can attitude (and ability) be to dance?

Last night I had my first proper night out in Rio. Although it was pouring with rain and I was tired and grumpy, a couple of girls I met in my hotel persuaded me to head out to Lapa - a hip place where all the cool young things hang out (so not really sure what I was doing there).

It was fairly early by Brazilian standards (11-ish) so most of the clubs hadn´t really got going. We ended up in a live music venue called ´Brasil Mestico´ where the crowd ranged from young to 50 plus.

´How gross - everyone´s over 40!´ the Australian girl with me turned and said. I was secretly pleased as I felt much more at home with a ´similar´ age group and more importantly (really!) I wanted to hear/see some local music and dancing.

I ordered my first Brazilian caipirinha which nearly blew my head off - strong and sweet.

Within seconds of the live music kicking off, the dance floor was packed. There was no 2-3 hour wait for one or two brave people to tentatively step out. They were all there - men and women of all ages and sizes strutting there stuff as if there was no tomorrow.

Initially everyone stood in lines facing the singer and band, and danced from left to right - almost line dancing - but Brazilian style. Then they formed a circle and it was time for individuals to break out and perform. A girl would dance seductively with a hankie then pick out a guy from the circle who would join her. She´d drop the hankie on the floor and he´d have to pick it up with his teeth (would love to see an English bloke try that) and then he´d pick a girl from the circle to join him and the whole thing would start over. Very sexy.

Not only was there a lack of reticence about getting down and dirty on the dance floor, they were mainly all brilliant - graceful and energetic, twirling and spinning with ease and elegance. No furtive shuffling or eye avoidance.

Now I consider myself an ok dancer. I think I can hear a rhythm and move in time to it but these effortless movers put me to shame and I felt just like Auntie Florence at a wedding.

If you´re wondering whether I danced or not - well I gave it a go (not the circle thing) but was too intimidated to not feel self conscious. To be honest I was completely mesmerised by the sheer talent and spent most of my time admiring the skill, passion and energy of the Cariocas.

I only lasted until 1.30am though as the lure of my comfy bed was too much to resist.

I didn´t take my camera to the club so this is a pic of kids practising capoeira in the favela.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You...shy when it comes to a sexy dancing game...that's not the Maria I know!

There must be some serious movers over there and you now have me completely jealous...my fortnight in Cyprus seems pretty tame now.

Great travel blog...keep the stories and pics coming...

Take it easy hon

Andy xx