Friday, February 09, 2007

Amazon Jungle, Ecuador



On my final day in the jungle I go tubing down the Higher Napo river. This consists of four tyres tied together with rope. I'm told to sit in one of the tyres submerging my bottom into the water. It's freezing cold and as we begin I have visions of an anaconda biting my behind. Two guides with paddles navigate us through the turquoise waters, dodging whirlpools and rocks and riding the white rapids. As the tyres spin around I find myself facing backwards half the time and completely unaware of the waves about to wash over my head.

After arriving safely at the river bank, it's a 40-minute hike through the jungle back to camp. As it's dusk and we're in swim suits we hot foot it back before the mosquitoes have a chance to feast on our wet bodies.

We're given the opportunity to visit a Shaman and take a natural hallucinogenic plant extract that apparently makes you vomit and spout lots of philosophical/foolish 'insights'. Funnily enough there are no volunteers. The Shaman turns out to be on holiday in Miami anyway.

No comments: