Saturday, February 17, 2007

Baños, Ecuador



A four-hour bus ride from Tena on dusty mountain roads and I'm in the small spa town of Baños meaning 'baths'. I swallow so much dust on the way, as it's too hot to close the windows, that I have a sore throat by the time I arrive.

Baños is famous for its thermal springs and is a popular holiday spot for Ecuadorians, as well as gringos. Surrounded by green mountains, it's dwarfed by the snow-capped Tungurahua volcano, which means 'little hell' in Quichua. The volcano is still active and the town is on permanent 'yellow' alert since its evacuation in 1999 due to the threat of a major eruption.

I wander down the main street to visit the attractive Basilica and cloister and then take a taxi up to Bellavista, for a viewpoint of the town and mountains (I'm advised against hiking as two weeks ago a couple were stripped of all their belongings including their shoes).

(Photo - Baños from Bellavista)

No comments: