Saturday, February 17, 2007

Devil's Nose Train, Ecuador



The Devil's Nose (La Naríz de Diablo) is billed as one of the most spectacular train rides in the world. I can't comment on that but it's great fun and passes through some of the most dramatic scenery I've seen so far in Ecuador.

From Alausí the train climbs to Devil's Nose, a perpendicular ridge rising in the gorge of the Chanchán to a height of 305 metres via a series of switchbacks built on a 5 1/2% grade. I'm no engineer so probably do not appreciate this incredible feat of construction.

I climb on to the roof of the carriage, slip by legs through the bar and hold on tightly. The train starts to descend through stunning a green landscape of mountains, valleys and deep ravines before climbing Devil's Nose (again I struggle to picture a face). Apart from being a jerky ride, it's hair-rising at times as the track runs very close to the cliff side.

As we climb and descend the mountainside, the train stops several times, a man jumps off and switches the track so we travel backwards and forwards until we return to Alausí.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm an engineer. That's an incredible feat... ;o)