Saturday, February 17, 2007

Pailón de Diablo, Baños, Ecuador



I took my malaria pills last night with a view to avoiding drowsiness in the day. Instead I embarked on a rollercoaster of several nightmares that I've decided I prefer the drugged state and lethargy.

I negotiated with my taxi driver from yesterday to take us to a couple of waterfalls outside town. The first, 'Manto de la Novia' (Bride's veil) is across the river. One dollar gets you across in a jerky cable car suspended high above the water.

The second is the 'Pailón del Diablo' (Devil's Cauldron), supposedly one of the 20 most spectacular waterfalls in the world (according to a postcard in the gift shop). On the walk up to the falls are some of the most stunning orchids I've seen.

The spray hits my face before I have a chance to see the waterfall. It is spectacular - a long white plume of powerful water thundering down the mountainside into a round frothy pool. The sheer force is mesmerising. The name 'Devil's Cauldron' refers to the face of the devil that is naturally carved into the cliff overlooking the waterfall. Maybe my imagination is lacking but I don't see it.

Back in Baños I go for an exfoliating massage. I'm not quite sure what I'm in for but it's an interesting experience. It consists of being rubbed down with oatmeal (painful but strangely pleasant on the mosquito bites). It looks like I've had several bowls of cereal thrown over me and am grateful when I'm allowed to shower off. I do now have lovely smooth skin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having just tried exfoliation with Weetabix, I wouldn't recommend it. Am still optimistic that the coco-pops will do the trick....