Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cloister, La Merced Monastery, Quito, Ecuador



Had a mad morning. Firstly the taxi driver got lost on the way to the Cuban embassy and spent half an hour trying to find it. On arriving at the embassy I'm told that they can't actually issue it here as I'm not flying to Cuba directly. Disappointed I decide to treat myself to pancakes at one of my favourite eateries in La Mariscal called the Magic Bean Café. I arrive too late as they're now on lunch menus. Instead I opt for a banana and strawberry smoothie and they manage to get that wrong as well. I'm in a bad mood now and decide that an afternoon of photographing cloisters will restore my serenity.

I take a taxi into the old town and the taxi driver claims I gave him a one dollar bill instead of ten. At the time I'm not entirely sure so don't question it but as soon as I step out of the cab I realise I was right. Not only that but he has overcharged me too. Great. I no longer feel sorry that his son hasn't been in touch since he moved to the UK years ago. Think I'm having a bad day.

My guide book claims San Agustín has 'beautiful' cloisters but I'm disappointed. It's practically a building site. Hopefully La Merced will be better but on arriving the gates are locked. On enquiring at a desk nearby I'm told that it's not open to the public. 'But my guidebook says it is' I say childishly. 'What book?' she replies sternly. It's no use and I'm about to leave when I see someone going through the gate. I ask him if I can take a quick look at the cloister but he says I'll have to ask the lady at the desk.

I have nothing to lose so I appeal to her good nature and ask if I can look inside. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Surprisingly I don't even have to persuade her. She jumps up, opens the gate and tells me to stay on ground level as the Fathers will be angry with her if they find me wandering around.

I'm glad I did. The cloister dating from 1534 is beautiful, grand and austere at the same time. Coloured rose petals cover the paving stones all the way around. At the centre of the cloister is a fountain adorned with a statue of Neptune. This makes up for this morning's misadventures.

No comments: