Sunday, November 05, 2006

Buenos Aires - Day 14


Sunday 5th November

It´s my last day in Buenos Aires and I´m sad to be leaving. It´s the first time on this trip that I´ve thought I could/would like to stay somewhere.

Have two hours sleep before having to pack and check out. It´s raining and everything is closed.

Catch a cab to Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo, the oldest part of Buenos Aires, where there´s an antiques market and street performers on the square every Sunday.

It´s also the 36th anniversary of the market so there is an added party atmosphere. In addition to the many stalls selling crafts and antiques there are people in wild costumes (I spot a polar bear, drunk waiter, Queen of Hearts etc., you get the gist) dancing to big band rhythms, and tango dancers and singers everywhere. It´s a great atmosphere even in the rain.

Have a final tango lesson tonight (if I´m still awake) and fly out tomorrow.

So long B.A. Hope to be back sometime soon.

PS. On my way back to the hotel after my tango lesson I´m stopped in the street by a man smiling (honestly). The conversation goes something like this:-

Him - Can I ask you something?

Me - Ok

Him - You look like you´re floating in space

Me - That´s probably because I only had two hours sleep last night

Following a bit where he finds out where I´m from and what I´m doing in BA etc. I tell him I´m leaving tomorrow.

Him - What a shame. I could have shown you around Buenos Aires. Well I´m going to an art house film now (10 pm!) would you like to meet for a drink afterwards?

Me - Sorry, I´m knackered but nice to meet you.

Blimey. People from Buenos Aires are really friendly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recon he felt your true inner spirit. You shine all the time. I think sometimes we forget who we are and people have to remind us.
Cheryl