Monday, November 13, 2006

Chiloe Island, Chile


It´s a four-hour drive, including 30-minute ferry ride (where I spot a couple of dolphins), to Chiloe Island. As soon as we arrive it starts pouring with rain. I assume it rains a fair bit here as it´s very green.

Our destination is the capital, Castro. On arrival all we´re fit for is food so walk three doors down the road to the local restaurant and order the typical food. 'Curanto' is a dish of shellfish, various meats including sausage, and fried potato patties all thrown in together but without a sauce. Pure protein (and fat I suspect).

The next day I explore Castro in the rain. There isn´t much to see apart from the impressive church on the main square (Templo de San Francisco) and the local colourful houses on stilts (Palafitos) due to uneven ground, which are interesting.

On my way back to the hotel along the port road, I´m chased by a rabid dog barking at me. My first thought is that I´m glad I bothered to have a series of rabies jabs before I left. Ordinarily I would have run but having read my survival handbook I turned around and shouted back. Surprisingly it stopped in its tracks and stared at me. It works. Not sure I would do the same if it were a lion or bear. But I´m definitely making progress, since the summer when I was chased across a Yorkshire moor by a fairly aggressive sheep.

Back to Puerto Montt tonight ready for my 3-day fjord trip to Puerto Natales tomorrow.

(Photo - typical houses on stilts (palafitos))

No comments: