Monday, November 13, 2006

The legend of Trauco, Chiloe Island



Chiloe folklore has it that a vicious dwarf can turn a woman pregnant just by looking at her. Trauco is ugly, deformed but powerful. He can kill or maim a man without effort and is feared and hated by men. He is however irresistibly attractive to women. Men can´t understand this.

Fiura is his female equivalent. Grotesque and repellent she lures men away from their homes from Friday to Monday and casts a spell so they forget where they´ve been. When anyone asks what happened they say Fiura got me. Convenient.

La Viuda (the widow) is another mythological character and the favourite of the male members of our group. She lures men into the forest, seduces them and fulfils their every fantasy. She then destroys them. Rather like marriage the guys joke.

(Photo - sculpture of Trauco on Chiloe)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, I got your second postcard today, thank you.

I've left now, so i'm ex-bbc to now. It feels a bit weird, but hey less about me. Check out the comments below. Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hey me too! (as in I got my second postcard, but not that I left the BBC!) It's Al here, by the way! Hello!
I'm going to add some more comments too now - not wishing to be outdone!