Thursday, November 02, 2006

Buenos Aires - Day 9


Tuesday 31st October

Although I´m still suffering I´m determined not to lose another day stuck in my hotel room sleeping. Think a day out at the Botanical Gardens will cheer me up so I head out to Palermo in search of gardens.

While the Botanical gardens are pleasant, they´re also quite small and I manage a circuit in half an hour. It´s not quite as varied as I had hoped and definitely lacking in colour. There is a hot house but it´s closed. Leaving it I feel as if I´ve walked through a lovely shady park.

I hope the Japanese gardens will be more exciting but I´m left uninspired. It´s the largest I´ve seen but far too open and lacking in plants if that´s possible. Maybe I´m being fussy because I´m ill and drained of energy.

As it´s only midday I decide to try the zoo next door to see if it´s much different to any other zoo I´ve been to but it isn´t. There´s an albino lion which is odd but fascinating. I´m thinking that having been on safari may have killed any desire to see animals in captivity. I still want to see an anaconda though and am disappointed not to see one in the reptile house so I try the ´jungle den`. Here my wish comes true as I come face to face with a particularly lively one trying to scale its glass enclosure. It makes me feel slightly sick watching it but I´m transfixed.
Not sure if it´s helping my phobia.

Having failed earlier in the day to locate the rose gardens someone shows me the way and now I´m in heaven. It´s beautiful, brimming with colour and life. I could spend all day here and I do, falling asleep for an hour among the roses.

No comments: