Monday, November 27, 2006

Puerto Natales, Chile


Day 4

There´s another announcement at 5am to advise us that we´re passing through the narrowest stretch of the journey at only 80m wide. It´s called Paso White, and yes I get up again in the dark and cold to watch this phenomenon except it isn´t all that exciting. Again the world is monochrome. I should have stayed in my warm bunk like most of the other passengers.

We arrive into Puerto Natales at 8am and I´m truly relieved to be off that infernal boat... I still have Mariah Carey etched on my brain. I am a little disappointed not to have seen more dramatic scenery and even perhaps some giant icebergs floating among the fjords but maybe my expectations are way off. Puerto Natales is a quiet town characterised by a strip of brightly painted corrugated tin houses. It´s also a base for Torres del Paine trekkers.

As I´m a day late there is no day´s rest or sightseeing in P.N as planned so it´s straight off to start trekking in Torres Del Paine.

No comments: