Monday, April 23, 2007

Costa Rica



I'm looking forward to Costa Rica. It's unfair to say I haven't enjoyed Panama as I've seen so very little of it. I'm sure if I'd have manged to get out to the Darien region I'd have seen another side.

My 6.30am start to Costa Rica starts ominously when the hotel tries to bill me again for the room. Once in the taxi the driver begins a slow rant about how Panama is not a true democracy as the (corrupt) government is never accountable for its actions. But if a man were to steal a chicken to feed his starving children he'd be thrown in jail. He repeats this analogy three times while I grunt in agreement from the back seat. It's far too early in the morning to be discussing Panamanian politics.

Again my travel agent had booked me into executive class but I've now stopped worrying about the money I handed over six months ago. The flight is going well and we're on our descent, when the plane takes a sharp turn and starts ascending rapidly. All my cabin mates are chatting away merrily. Has no one else noticed? Am I the only one slightly panicking? It's only when the captain clears his throat and announces that there was a slight 'problem' that they begin to look perturbed. By then, the plane has righted itself and we're on our descent.

Things are unfortunately not getting better. In San José my hotel has no record of my reservation and they're full so I'm forced to move to another hostel. Pura Vida? No way.

(Photo - Plaza de la Democracia, San José)

No comments: