Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tropicana Club, Havana, Cuba



I'm curious about the famous Tropicana club. Since arriving in Havana, many Cubans have said the same thing. Namely that it's expensive, at around USD 70 a ticket, but fantastic. Even though it's a Friday night Al, I and our two new Danish friends are ushered through the doors and to our table. I'm given a red rose while the boys receive cigars. I try to swap my rose for a cigar but am abruptly told 'only men'. Our ticket includes a free glass of bubbly, half a bottle of Havana Club rum and a can of Tropicola.

I have visions of a kitsch cabaret show filled with flashy showgirls wearing large headdresses. I'm not disappointed. Heralded as a 'Paradise under the stars' (it's outdoors), there seems to be thousands of people here, mainly tourists.

I'd been to Le Lido in Paris a few years ago and it's a very similar experience although France does it with much more style and class. Although it's a great night out, I find the choreography a bit too cheesy at times.

Walking back to our 'casa' in Old Havana, we're beckoned off the street into an impromptu jamming session (or Peña), in a small art shop. Guitars, maracas, claves, guiros and drums all blend together harmoniously producing the soulful Son music heard all over Havana. At midnight the musicians take off down the road towards the Malecon, still playing their instruments.

No comments: