Thursday, April 19, 2007

El Valle, Panama



I haven't heard back about my Darien trip so I decide instead to take a day trip to El Valle, a picturesque town nestled in the crater of an extinct volcano, which is known for its handicrafts market.

The bus driver is a nutter, speeding around winding hills. It's one of the few times I've felt sick on a bus. At one point we see a car go off the road but no one stops. It takes us two hours instead of three to arrive and I'm grateful to be in one piece.

El Valle is pretty but the market is nothing special. I manage to see all the stalls at least twice (just to make sure I haven't missed anything) in half an hour.

The town is also noted for El Nispero, a garden of exotic plants, actually my main reason for coming. There's no transport from town so I cadge a lift in the back of a truck up the dusty road.

(Photo - flora at El Nispero)

No comments: