Tuesday, April 24, 2007

White Water rafting, Pacuare River, Costa Rica



On arriving at the river's edge we're drilled with the following commands:

adelante - row forward (duro - hard, suave con amor - gently)
alto - stop
izquierda atrás- the left side of the rafts rows backwards
derecha atrás - the right side of the raft rows backwards
inclinarse - lean in (when about to be engulfed by a huge wave)
Siéntese - squat low in the raft (when about to be engulfed in an even bigger wave)
tequila derecha - all move to the right side of the boat (when there's danger of capsizing)
tequila izquierda - all move over to the left side of the boat
High five - all oars in the air (when we've made it through a difficult rapid)

My group of four is asked whether we'd like to do the 'chicken run' or the 'hard core'. I wonder if anyone opts for the chicken option.

So we set off for a 30km trip down the Pacuare, which means 'little red macaw'. The river is set in stunning rainforest with thick vegetation on both sides. Overhanging trees are studded with bromeliads and exotic plants but I don't have much time to take this in. We have 40 rapids to get through including 6 Grade IVs (Doble Paso, Huacas Arriba, Huacas Abajo, Cimarrones (my favourite involving a three-stage drop), El Indio and Dos Montañas).

Initially I'm afraid of falling in. This means I'll get wet, people will laugh and I have to buy beers all round. But a few minutes in I'm forced to jump in to practise the rescue drill.

The emerald waters are surprisingly tepid and I find it just as pleasant being in the water than on the raft. Four hours, 40 rapids and several capsizings later, we reach the end of the 30km journey. I'm completely exhilarated and can't wait to do it again.

No comments: