Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Antarctica Day 8 - December 5 - Fort Point, Greenwich Island


It`s 2 degrees and overcast (for a change). There are moderate winds of 30-40 knots and we`re due to make a landing at Robert Point. I'm feeling 100% better. By the time we arrive the wind has picked up and it`s deemed too unsafe to land. This is the nature of travelling in Antarctica. One minute we're dressed up in ten layers of clothes plus life vest, boots, hats, gloves, sunglasses etc. and lining up to board zodiacs and then it`s all called off. Everything depends on the weather and that here is unpredictable. In all we`re really lucky to make 12 landings which I'm assuming is due to our (fantastic) expedition leader and crew. I'm told most expeditions manage 7-8 if the weather is decent.

Disappointed we all trudge back to our cabins and while taking off several layers our expedition leader announces on the P.A that we`re going to attempt to make a shore landing at Fort Point, where from my cabin window I can see dramatic jagged basalt pinnacles rising out of the sea. Afterwards I learn that there's no record of anyone landing here for many years.

The sea is choppy and I get soaked on the way to shore where the zodiac drivers have problems controlling the boats in the huge surf. The beach is another volcanic one with a nunatak (look it up!) at one end, Weddell Seals and colonies of Gentoos and Chinstraps. There are also a couple of Macaroni Penguins, unusual for this area, but I miss these.

After a couple of hours the ship's horn sounds which means we need to make our way back quickly to the zodiacs. The weather has become too unstable. I get soaked again on the ride back to the ship.

(Photo - Fort Point)

No comments: