Wednesday, December 27, 2006

La Serena, Chile


La Serena has transformed into a lively bustling town since yesterday. While the others have gone off on a penguin tour I decide to see what it has to offer so walk up to the main square, the Plaza de Armas, where there's a tourist office. Apart from a handful of churches and museums and obviously the beach, it seems that the town serves as a base for tours into the Elqui Valley where there are a number of vineyards and pisco factories.

I decide to have a look at the churches, dating from the 17th century, and the Japanese Garden (Jardin del Corazon) which is recommended in my guide book. Most of the churches I visit, apart from the cathedral on the main square, are closed as it's afternoon, but are attractive architecturally. The Japanese Garden is one of the best I've seen. It's tranquil and well-maintained and I look forward to spending an afternoon here away from the dust and noise.

(Photo - Japanese Garden (Jardin del Corazon))

No comments: