Sunday, December 24, 2006

Into Chile - Santiago


Several bus companies run trips to Santiago throughout the day. Instead of taking five hours it takes me eight hours including a couple waiting around at the Chilean border. The border is a strictest I've seen so far in South America and I end up having both my bags searched. One poor guy is forced to open his Christmas presents.

The drive to the border is the same drive I took yesterday but without the stops. After the border we descend into a dramatic deep valley before entering the smoggy outskirts of Santiago. At first Santiago seems rough and a bit decrepit and I remember how I liked Buenos Aires instantly. After checking in and being told to be wary of bag snatchers on Cerro Lucia, the hill behind my hotel, I decide instead to walk up to the main square, Plaza de Armas. A giant Christmas tree dominates the square across from stalls selling trinkets. It's the first time I've felt the slightest bit Christmassy and it's a bit strange to be completely disengaged in the festivites this year.

Although it may lack the sophistication of Buenos Aires, Santiago seems more 'western' in some respects. It has embraced international brands such as Starbucks (the first I've seen in South America), Pizza Hut, Nine West and Lush. I'm delighted to see they even have Frizz Ease products and large book shops.

(Photo - Santiago from Cerro Lucia)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the frizz ease products comment. Only you would be worrying about your afro! Santiago sounds great.

Cherylx