Monday, December 18, 2006

Punta Tombo, Argentina


Punta Tombo is a nature reserve about 100km from Trelew. It has the largest colony of Magellanic Penguins on the continent, which can reach over a million. The landscape enroute is uninteresting - flat, dry and deserty for the most part.

Inside the reserve thousands of black and white penguins, characterised with a v-neck stripe, are busy rearing their chicks. The newborns are grey, fluffy and slightly awkward-looking. Under almost every bush there's a penguin nest. Some are really close to the (tourist) trails but the penguins seems completely unperturbed by us. Only 10% of the reserve is open to visitors so the penguins can live relatively undisturbed.

On the way back, the tour guide announces we're going to Gaiman. I`m not too alarmed as I think I could have missed something interesting yesterday. Unfortunately this is not the case. I end up revisiting all the same places and when we arrive at the same tea house I went to yesterday I decide to go off and visit 'El Desafio', the recycled park I snubbed yesterday. It's an odd but charming kind of place looked after by an elderly man. Every enclosure or exhibit has been made out of rubbish i.e. plastic bottles, cans and scrap metal etc. It's a bit run down but very colourful. There are cliched messages pinned everywhere but some of these you never tire of? One of my favourites is ´Live your life however you want. Just live it'.

No comments: