Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mamalluca Observatory, Elqui Valley, Chile


In the evening I visit the Mamalluca Observatory, about an hour's drive from La Serena, in the Elqui Valley. As a novice stargazer who can only confidently identify Orion, I'm keen to learn more.

There are a number of observatories on the hills in the valley and it soon becomes apparent why. By 10pm the sky is blanketed with stars, and with a laser pen our guide points out various constellations, although you still need a lively imagination to bring them to life.

Through the telescope I'm able to see in detail the brightest star in the sky, Sirius, gleaming like a blue-tinged diamond, a dying red star, the nearest major galaxy, Andromeda, and craters on the moon. I can also see my beloved Orion.

(Photo - the moon through the telescope)

No comments: