Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Abseiling, La Fortuna, Costa Rica



I'm abseiling today or rappelling as they call it here. I've never done it before but it's one of the adventure sports on offer.

Again I'm thinking I've made a big mistake when I climb into a van full of young fit people, mainly Americans, although I soon feel better having learnt that most have never tried it before. Again we're kitted up with harnesses, ropes and helmets, briefly shown how to manage our ropes, and told to go.

The first (dry) wall is 165 feet high and I'm not totally trusting of my harness. But it's easier than it looks and I'm at the bottom in what seems like 30 seconds.

The waterfalls are trickier as the rocks are slippery. It's also difficult to see with gallons of water pouring on your head. It's all good fun but not quite the adrenalin rush I expected.

No comments: