Thursday, May 10, 2007

Granada, Nicaragua



We retrace our steps and board the ferry back to San Jorge. From there a combination of taxis and chicken buses take us to Granada, Nicaragua's loveliest colonial town located on the northwestern shore of Lake Nicaragua.

Granada is hot hot hot. The temperature has steadily been rising since I arrived in Central America and I'm sure it's not far off 40 degrees. Founded in 1524, Granada is exactly what you'd expect of a colonial city - beautiful churches, a palm and mango-tree covered central square (Parque Central) with the city's cathedral and vibrantly coloured houses with carved wooden doors. There is even a volcano (Volcan Mombacho) looming over the colourful streets.

My guide book says I can ask the caretaker of the Iglesia de La Merced, Granada's most beautiful church, if I can climb the bell tower for a view of the city. I expect to have to be persuasive but there's no need. All I have to do is pay a dollar.

No comments: