Monday, May 21, 2007

Lago de Atitlán, Guatemala



Following some sad goodbyes it's time to leave Antigua. I'm tired and sick (I threw up three times last night) and really can't face travelling on chicken buses today. I consider not going on, at least until I feel better, but somehow I manage to make it on to the first chicken bus. The guide tries to cheer me by asking me questions but all I want to do is sleep and listen to my ipod. Later in the day he says 'You were cranky today'. I could have punched him.

After four noisy chicken buses loaded with people (but no chickens) we arrive in Panajachel on the banks of the beautiful Lago de Atitlan. The lake is a caldera (collapsed volcanic cone), filled with shimmering blue water surrounded by three volcanoes. Panajachel, nicknamed 'Gringotenango' due to the number of foreigners here, is a shameless tourist trap consisting of a long dusty road with souvenir shops on either side selling similar tat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Same type as Crater Lake in the U.S. ?

Apart from the "tourist trap" things, the lake itself seems to be beautiful....