Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Nicaraguan border at Peñas Blancas



It's a long travel day across the Nicaraguan border. We start at 7.30 am for a long and bumpy four hour drive to Peñas Blancas on the Nicaraguan border. The queue to get our passports stamped is long but moves quickly. I'm 20-odd people from the front when I hear there's been a black-out and Costa Rica is entirely without electricity.

The next three hours spent waiting (and sweating) in the sultry heat are painful. On retrieving my passport I discover there's a 600 metre walk to reach the Nicaraguan side which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have about 30 kilos of luggage. Thankfully the Nicaraguan side, although less orderly, is much quicker.

Within an hour we've arrived at San Jorge to catch the ferry across Lake Nicaragua to Ometepe island. It's then another hour to reach our final destination of Santo Domingo.

No comments: