Sunday, January 28, 2007

Cusco, Peru


It's a seven hour bus journey from Puno to Cusco and I only have one full day to explore before I start the sacred valley tour and four-day Inca Trail.

I've heard great things about Cusco; everyone I know who's been here loves it but on arrival it looks like every other town, a bit of a dump. Thankfully as soon as I drop my things off at the hotel and walk to the main square, the Plaza de Armas (as many squares are named in South America) I fall in love with the city.

Cusco was founded around 1100AD as the ancient Inca capital, and means 'navel of the earth'. Almost every main street has remains of Inca walls, arches and doorways. The city has narrow cobbled streets and its churches, monasteries and pre-Columbian ruins are interspersed with plush hotels, restaurants and bars.

(Photo - Cathedral on the Plaza de Armas)

No comments: