Sunday, January 28, 2007

Inca Trail - Day 1


I've no idea what to expect but I'm slightly nervous about the Inca Trail. Horror stories I've picked up along my travels have not helped to quell my apprehension. To boot I'm not feeling well - I feel nauseous and spaced out and find it difficult to pack my bag. I'm assured once I get going I'll be fine.

A mini-bus picks our group of nine up in Ollantaytambo, our overnight stopover, and drives us to Piskakuchu, more commonly known as the Km 82 point, the starting point for most people on the Inca Trail. We're all kitted out with walking sticks, hats, sunglasses and hiking boots. Our porters on the other hand have none of this gear and are wearing sandals. They'll also be carrying up to 20 kilos of provisions.

(Photo - the start of the Inca Trail at Km 82)

No comments: