Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Macchu Picchu - Day 3


It's hard graft all the way to Intipunku (Sun Gate). Everyone cheers as I scale the final (steep) steps. From here there's a fantastic view of Macchu Picchu and the surrounding jungle and mountains, but I'm not as overwhelmed as I feel I should be. The guide tells me many people break down in tears on seeing it, but I feel nothing. Maybe the last three days have taken their toll.

The weather is superb so we descend the final 30 minutes to the site, take our photos and catch the bus down the hill to Agua Calientes, our base for the night.

Day 3 summary:
? km - 9.5 hours

Total:
40km (25 miles) - 3 days
3 high passes at 4200m, 3998m and 3700m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well i guess that beats my 10k Nike Run!! doesn't it? At last a picture of the lovely Maria, and how well you look, wow..i miss you so much. Cherylx