Sunday, January 28, 2007

Inca Trail - Day 1


It's undulating (or 'Andean flat') all the way to our lunch stop at Wayllabamba (or Huayllabamba), apart from a very steep 20 minute section that leaves us all gasping for breath. After four hours I'm suffering and can only walk a few steps without stopping. I feel nauseous and struggle to force down a couple of spoonfuls of soup and rice. I can hardly feel my legs at this point and know that the next 3km uphill stretch to Yunkachimpa at 3300 altitude is going to be tough. It's steep steps all the way and the only way I can manage is to stop every few minutes and catch my breath. Depressingly sprightly porters are continually overtaking me with huge loads on their backs.

My situation is not made easier by the fact that the guide seems to have taken a shine to me. Apparently I have a beautiful soul. He knows these things as he's training to be a shaman. I laugh it off but I get slightly worried when this translates verbally as wanting to 'bed' me. I really need to keep up with the rest of the group no matter how sick I get!

When I am actually sick on the side of the path, the guide asks if I want to turn back. Do I? If this is supposed to be easy how am I going to cope with Dead Woman's Pass? I can't give up (not yet anyway). After three hours straight uphill I arrive at the campsite to cheers from my group who have already arrived. According to some I'm looking a little green. The sight of food makes me want to be sick again so I go to bed praying I'll feel better tomorrow, ready for the big hike.

Day 1 summary:
15 km - 7 hours

No comments: