Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Isla Taquile, Lake Titicaca


It's 45 km and three hours by boat to Isla Taquile on Lake Titicaca. We pass through algae-covered waters, the Uros floating reed islands and then into open water. Lake Titicaca, a huge inland sea, is the highest navigable lake in the world. Its islands are home to the Quechua and the Aymara, who are some of Peru's oldest peoples.

Taquile is a pretty, green, hilly island with Inca terracing. It's raining when I arrive so the hour walk to the top at 3855 metres is not without difficulty. At times I feel I can't get enough air into my lungs. Lunch of Quinoa soup and grilled Kingfish awaits me at the top, and then it's a 500- step descent to the shore. By the time I reach the boat the rain has stopped but there are still dark clouds looming over the lake.

(Photo - Lake Titicaca from Isla Taquile)

No comments: