Sunday, January 28, 2007

Inca Trail - Day 1


After our passports are stamped at the check point, we cross the bridge over the fierce Urubamba river and begin our 15km trek to the first campsite. I'm expecting it to be easy. Everything I've heard has warned me about Day 2 being the difficult one. Our guide has told me not to worry. Today is all 'Andean flat'. This is an expression I grow to fear and loathe over the next three days.

The start of the trail is stunning. The stony path hugs the Urubamba river around lush green mountains and through fertile valleys. 'Andean flat' appears not to mean flat at all but undulating. But I can cope with this - just. After a couple of hours walking I reach a view point overlooking the Llactapata ruins, the largest Inca city to be found on the way to Macchu Picchu.

No comments: