Monday, January 29, 2007

Inca Trail - Day 2, Runkuraqay to Chakiqocha


At 2pm we set off for the second pass, Runkuraqay at 3998 metres. Again the ascent is via steep steps switch-backing around the mountain. Although it's hard work, I seem to find it a bit easier (maybe it's the music). In half an hour I reach the Runkuraqay ruins and in another hour I reach the top of the second pass. At the top of Runkuraqay pass the sun comes out and bathes the landscape in a golden light. More importantly it also dries the steps I'm about to descend.

It's another one hour descent on the other side of the pass to the Sayacmarka ruins, an Inca lookout overlooking the surreal misty Urubamba Valley. This time it takes a toll on my knees. It's a further 30 minutes to our campsite at Chakiquocha where I arrive at 6pm. I've been walking (mainly uphill) for 11 hours. I have sore knees, nausea and have cried twice today. But I've made it. Nothing will ever seem as hard.

Day 2 summary:
15 km - 11 hours

No comments: