Monday, January 29, 2007

Inca Trail - Day 2


After waiting in vain for half an hour for the rain and mist to clear, I start the steep 600 metre descent down the other side of Dead Woman's Pass. The steps are narrow and steep, the stones are slippery from the rain and I almost lose my footing a few times. I make it to our lunch spot, Paqaymayo, in an hour but can't face any food. My temperature is raging and although I've apparently done the hardest bit there's a second pass coming up of 3900 metres. I doubt my ability to make it but before I have a chance to voice my fears, the tour guide approaches me and says I'll have to be carried as I won't make it to our base camp in time. This inspires such strong feelings of defiance I refuse point blank and reply that I'll crawl up the mountain if I have to. The porters genuinely don't understand why I'm so against being carried. I'm told they do it all the time.

(Photo - lunch stop at Paqaymayo)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh darling i'm feeling for you. Cherylx