Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Inca Trail - Day 3, Wiñaywayna to Intipunku (Sun Gate)


While lying in my tent I can hear a discussion going on about whether we should push through to Macchu Picchu this afternoon. The original plan was to have an afternoon's rest and get up at 4am to walk the two remaining hours to the site. As it's the rainy season the guide warns us that it'll most likely be misty and raining tomorrow morning, so if we can we should walk today. Neither option is particularly appealing - walking in the dark at 4am doesn't fill me with joy but we've already been walking 5 1/2 hours today and my legs are shot. Everyone needs to be in agreement and as I know the majority of the group want to go on, I agree.

After seeing the stunning Wiñaywayna (Forever Young) ruins we set off at 2.30pm for Macchu Picchu. It's 'Andean flat' all the way - jungle, sheer vertical staircases (where I swear a lot) but some amazing panoramic views over the mountains and valleys. I stop to photograph some beautiful orchids along the way. My favourite is the striking Waqanki orchid which is a bright scarlet colour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my girl, keep pushing yourself. After this journey you will be prepared to deal with any obstacle that comes your way. Cherylx