Friday, June 29, 2007

Auckland, New Zealand



After spending all morning arguing with the manager at Qantas over some flight changes I decide to head to 'Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter & Underwater World' for some light relief. There are leaflets all over town promoting it so I'm curious. I take the free shuttle from the Sky Tower 6km out of the city. The driver tells me to 'buckle up' and watch the DVD. I'm surprised to learn Kelly's a man.

I'm not sure what to make of the place. It has a 1970's feel to it but with modern interactive elements. First up is the Stingray pool with huge rays including Phoebe who's 40 years old. I then step on to the Snow Cat which takes me through a frozen environment filled with Gentoo and King Penguins. Just as I was feeling impressed a giant animatronic Orca whale leaps up towards the Snow Cat, to highlight a prime danger for penguins.

Apart from the transparent tunnel of sharks and rays, the highlight for me is a replica of Scott's 1911 Antarctic Hut which comes complete with noises and the smells of must and bacon. I try in vain to photograph the sharks and rays but it's dark and they just won't keep still.

(Photo - Stingray at Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter & Underwater World)

No comments: