Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Washington Square, San Francisco



As I walk back to my hotel for the last time someone asks me if I'm lost. I tell him that I'm not and I'm just looking around for photo opportunities.
'Are you from the Island?' he says. I'm impressed as my last taxi driver thought I was Australian. He says whenever he walks this way there are always Brits on a particular alleyway taking photos of the Transamerica Building. I ask him where this alleyway is and he points up the hill.

Of course I can't find it so I walk into a bar to ask.
'What? Where are you looking for?' the man asks as if I'd just spoken an alien language. It's my accent again.
The girl with him says 'Oh you can just get a good view from up the hill'.
'Thanks' I say wishing I'd never asked.
'Top of the morning to you' the man shouts out.
'I'm not Irish, I'm English' I say.
'Er top of the evening to you then'.

(Photo - Saint Peter and Paul Church on Washington Square)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Top of the morning indeed!! They were the same with me when I went to Washington, but I had a fabulous time though. Cheryl