Monday, June 18, 2007

North Beach, San Francisco



As the taxi drives to the hotel I look out for familiar sights but I don't recognise anything. I start to think that maybe I've made a mistake coming back. After checking in to my hotel I walk up Columbus on to Broadway. Slowly I start to recognise places - the City Lights bookshop, the North Beach cafes and the church. I manage to navigate my way from memory to where I used to work. The Palladium is now Larry Flynt's Hustler Club. Still a classy establishment I see. North Beach and Chinatown are all becoming familiar again. Although it's early evening the sky is a deep blue and the Transamerica building gleams in the setting sun. It feels a bit surreal. I still can't believe I'm here, in my favourite city. This makes me smile.

No comments: