Thursday, June 14, 2007

Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Mexico City



One of best things I did in Mexico City was to visit the fantastic Museo Nacional de Antropología (The National Museum of Anthropology) in Chapultepec Park. It contains significant anthropological finds from the different Mexican civilizations such as Teotihuacan, Toltec, Aztec, Oaxaca, Maya. It's a huge place and could take all day to walk around. I manage four hours before exhaustion sets in.
I've been recommended a good Thai restaurant called 'Thai Garden' in Polanco, near the museum. Polanco is an upmarket 'colonia' (neighbourhood) where wealthier residents live. The main street, President Masaryk Avenue, is lined with designer boutiques and has been compared to LA's Rodeo Drive. Foolishly as I have been dining mostly in downmarket eateries I don't think about dressing up and arrive dressed in jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops. The 'Pretty Woman' scene where the shop manager says 'we don't have anything for you here' briefly flashes through my head but I'm not sent away. Although feeling completely out-of-place in the plush surroundings I enjoy one of the best Thai red curries I've ever had.

(Photo - Skull sculpture - symbolic of human sacrifice and the death of the sun in the National Museum of Anthropology)

No comments: