Friday, June 29, 2007

Auckland, New Zealand



It's getting light so there's no point going to bed. I have a hot shower and go out but everything is closed as it's Sunday. Although I'm glad to be in New Zealand my first impressions of Auckland are disappointing as I expected something more impressive. I feel I could be in any city in England.

The Sky Tower dominates the skyline. At 328 metres it's the tallest structure in the Southern hemisphere. A lift takes me up to the observation decks where there are great 360 degree views of the city and bay through glass. As I'm taking photos, someone attached to a wire plummets past me. I'd forgotten that New Zealand is an adrenaline junkie's paradise.

When I step into an internet cafe near my hotel I'm transported to another world. The place is full of Chinese students screaming while playing online games. As I log on to send some emails (a surprising thing to do in this place as most PCs are for gaming) my web pages load up in Chinese.

(Photo - view from the Sky Tower)

No comments: